Happy New Year! I hope you have had a great start to 2015 and that you will have a wonderful year with good health, happiness, and lots of time to create cards, scrapbook pages, and 3-D projects!
Today I am going to share with you a couple new year’s cards that I made using my Cricut Expression machine and some old Sizzix’s dies for the numbers. I pulled out my first ever die cutting machine, the red Sizzix, to cut out the numbers. Remember this one?
So the first card I want to share with you is the one I used my Cricut Expression die cutting machine for and the Sizzix for the numbers for 2015.
Supplies you will need:
- Cardstock: Whisper White, Basic Black, gold, glitter paper
- Embossing buddy
- VersaMark ink
- Gold embossing powder (Stampin’ Up)
- Embossing tray
- Heat gun
- Cricut Expression die cutting machine
- Cricut cutting mat
- Wild Card cartridge
- Perfect layers tool
- Adhesives: Scrappy Tape 1/8″, Xyron X, tape runner
Assembling the card:
- First make a card base that measures 5 1/2″ x 4 1/4″ and set aside.
- Cut your black cardstock 5 1/4″ x 4″. Adhere to gold paper and using Perfect Layers tool, make a 1/16″ border. Set aside.
- Put your Wild Card cartridge in the Cricut machine and turn machine on. Place keypad.
- Place a scrap of white cardstock onto cutting mat.
- Choose Celebrate (page 78 in booklet), Frame feature, Shift. Cut at 8″ (**see tip for finding the right key on the keypad at the end of the blog)
- Choose Celebrate (page 78 in booklet), Phrase, Shift (for “Cheers”) cut at 6″
- Using a piece of scrap paper lay the two items you just cut down on it and then stamp the VersaMark on each.
- Pour embossing powder on each and heat emboss.
- Next I cut out the numbers from the glitter paper using the Sizzix die cut machine.
- Assemble the numbers and the frame/Cheers on the card as shown. Attach to front of card.
- Add rhinestones to the class to create “bubbly”.
- For the inside of the card (which I forgot to get a picture of before mailing) I cut out Happy New Year (choose Celebrate, Phrase feature, 7 1/4″ size) in black cardstock.
This next card only used the Sizzix die cut machine for the numbers. I also used Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set, Word Window and Modern Label punches, and burlap ribbon for the banners. The inside was left blank to write a note. This is a standard sized card (5 1/2″ x 4 1/4″) and the black mat is 5 1/4″ x 4″. The burlap ribbon is Stampin’ Up’s 1 1/4″. To adhere the banners to the card front I used my 1″ Scrappy Tape to ensure that the banners would stay attached. Remember when using the Word Window punch to stamp your sentiment first and then punch it out. I also used the 1/8″ Scrappy Tape to adhere that to the glitter paper so that it would stay attached.
**Now for the tip I mentioned earlier regarding the Cricut keypads with each cartridge. Each keypad has a series of rows for the features (gray keys) and die cuts (white keys). In the booklet starting with the first die cut image number your pages 1 through 50. Each row of white keys have 10 die cuts in each row. For the card above I used image #47. So on the keypad I counted each row of ten in the first four rows (40) and in the last row I counted over 7 to find the key I needed to cut out what I needed for the card. This eliminates guessing which key to use. I hope this helps.
Happy New Year! and Happy Stamping!